Subscribe to Updates by Email

Enter your email address:

Monday, November 14, 2011

Who Do You Think You Are?

God deals with Four kinds of people in Romans 2

The Pagan: - Ignoring God. (Romans 2:12-16)

The Pagan person says, “I should be acquitted of my sins on the grounds of ignorance. I don’t know what sin is”.

God says, “I have revealed Myself to you; therefore, there is no excuse available to man”. (Romans 2:12)

The Moralist: - I am not as bad as others (Romans 2:1-11)

The Moral Person says, “I should be acquitted of my sins because I’m not as bad as the rapist, murderers, addicts, or prostitutes”.  

God says, “You’re not the judge”. (Romans 2:1)

The Religious: - My works make me good. (Romans 2:17-29)

The Religious Person says, “I should be acquitted of my sins because I know the law of God and do what is right. I go to church, I tithe, I lead a community group, and I have a great marriage. I don’t need a lot of help.”

God says, “You don’t practice what you preach!” (Romans 2:23)

The Therapeutic: I want to feel good. (Romans 2:12-16)

The Therapeutic Person says ―I should be acquitted of my sins on the grounds that I have had so many sins committed against me and I have suffered greatly for them. So, God is ok with my un-forgiveness for people who sinned against me. “They have become a law to themselves” (v.14) meaning they have defined what is good and evil.

God says, “God will judge the secrets of men by Christ Jesus". (Romans 2:16)

When you look at this list, what is your first reaction? “I’m none of them”? Or “I’m one of them”? I know I do.  The truth is we are all of them.  I believe Paul’s point in Romans 2 is to show us we need a redeemer.  Even as Christians we have some blinds spots, so I hope you can use this list to help reveal some of those blind spots.  Remember it’s NOT about how bad you are; it’s about how good God is.

No comments:

Post a Comment