Subscribe to Updates by Email

Enter your email address:

Monday, October 24, 2011

Is Boredom Sin?

Boredom can be defined as having a lack of interest in your surroundings or being displeased with your surroundings or being discontented.  For me the best definition is dissatisfaction, or a lack of satisfaction. So, if boredom is defined as dissatisfaction, is that sin?  I believe it is.  Why?  We were made to hunger and thirst and when I experience dissatisfaction or boredom, then I am looking to satisfy my dissatisfaction, or in a sense a cure to my boredom. There is no cure to boredom, outside of Jesus.  So if Jesus isn’t part of that cure I will sin, because I will always look to satisfying myself.

Solomon says in Ecclesiastes 1:8, “All things are full of weariness; a man cannot utter it; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing. It also says in Proverbs 27:19-20 “As in water face reflects face, so the heart of man reflects the man Sheol and Abaddon are never satisfied, and never satisfied are the eyes of man. I believe God is showing us that we cannot satisfy our own hunger and thirst and that the more I feed my flesh the hungrier I get.  For me, boredom is a reflection of my dissatisfaction with God.  Man that is ugly! I love that God is not interested in me being good at satisfying myself.  I also love that man satisfying himself was never supposed to work.  That means God is absolutely interested in being our satisfaction…..What a God!

I believe suffering can and should produce a hunger and thirst, but where do we go to satisfy that hunger and thirst?  Suffering produces some the most intimate moments with God, because it makes our need for Him greater and when our need for God is at its greatest, our dependence on Him is most realized.  We were made to depend on God, and that dependence comes through the Spirit of God.  Jesus, although perfect, sinless and born from God, had to be completely dependent on God the Spirit to connect Himself to God the Father.  We too have to be completely dependent on God the Spirit to connect us to God the Father and this happened because Jesus bore our sins so we could have access to the Triune God.

David says in Psalms 23:1 “The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want”. This means “The Lord is my Shepherd, I’m not in want” or “The Lord is my Shepherd, He doesn’t leave me in wanting”  Moreover, in Matthew 5:6 Jesus says “blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be satisfied! What an awesome promise.  That the only cure for boredom or dissatisfaction is Christ and Him crucified!

No comments:

Post a Comment