Subscribe to Updates by Email

Enter your email address:

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Mercy Takes Away My Misery; Grace Takes Away My Guilt Psalm 69 (day 14)


For this lent season, I am doing a forty-day study in the Psalms looking for aspects of the atonement that will end around Easter. My hope is to generate a newfound awe of what Christ did on the cross.

Psalm 69:16-18
[16] Answer me, O LORD, for your steadfast love is good; according to your abundant mercy, turn to me. [17] Hide not your face from your servant; for I am in distress; make haste to answer me. [18] Draw near to my soul, redeem me; ransom me because of my enemies!

When I read this Psalm it seems like David is commanding God to deliver him. But I believe David really just believed in God's grace and mercy. I have said this many times in past blogs but I believe God is really interested in raising our expectations on Him for grace and mercy. In verse 18 David uses the words “redeem” and “ransom” as a form of deliverance from his enemies. Paul puts it like this in Colossians 2:

Colossians 2:13-15
[13] And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, [14] by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross. [15] He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.
           
Through the cross we have been redeemed and ransomed we are no longer liable to the debt that stood against us with its legal demands. Not only was sin removed from us but we are no longer libel to pay for sin. That means we don't have permission to make ourselves pay for sin. This is grace and mercy. Grace is getting something you don't deserve; mercy is not getting what you deserve. Through the cross mercy takes away my misery; Grace takes away my guilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment