Subscribe to Updates by Email

Enter your email address:

Friday, March 9, 2012

One Day With God Is Better Than A Thousand Days Anywhere else, Psalm 84 (day 17)


For this lent season, I am doing a forty-day study in the Psalms looking for aspects of the atonement that will end around Easter. My hope is to generate a newfound awe of what Christ did on the cross.

Psalm 84:10-12
[10] For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. [11] For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly. [12] O LORD of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you!

This Psalm really speaks to the glory of God's presence. I love the contrast of a day with God being better than a thousand days someplace else. As I consider the cross today in this lens of the value of God's presence, I realize that I often seek the things of God rather than God himself. In other words, I at times look for healing rather than the Healer; I look for blessings rather than the Blesser. I'm not saying that the things of God aren’t awesome, but I believe what is more important is seeking God Himself. I also love the contrast of the value of God's presence that even if you have a measly job like a doorkeeper, it far outweighs the value dwelling in the tent of wickedness. God gave us the best thing He had; a relationship with his Son. Jesus gave us the best thing He had; a relationship with the Father. The Holy Spirit gives us the best thing He has; a relationship with the Father through the Son. All this took place because of what Jesus did on the cross. So, for God to crush his son for our redemption, how can we not trust Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment